INSIDER'S PICK: 2019 ANIMA NEGRA 'FALANIS 'QUIBIA' MALLORCA (Vinous 90points) $20.99
Even though we will not be doing the public tasting portion of the Insider's Pick until further notice, we will still be offering the wine for purchase with the usual 10% discount. The wines will still be ones we highly recommend, and the tasting notes will still be our own. We will be returning to doing just the one wine on Thursdays and Fridays until further notice. We hope you are able to come by and get some wines to enjoy.
Mallorca is an international hot spot for vacationers, jet setters and power elites, but not as much for wine tourists. While there is a decent amount of vineyards present on the islands relatively speaking, the production tends to be mostly small winery/small volume batches, and is consumed voraciously by the locals and visitors. A very similar plight to getting wines from Santorini in many ways. Anima Negra was one of the first producers (est. 1994) to start looking for ways to transcend those difficulties and still make traditional, thoughtful wines that could be brought to the world stage. Working with multiple small farmers to source from well over 100 individual plots, Anima Negra create several wines from native Mallorcan varieties in their distinctive 'Call Vermell' clay and limestone soils. The signature grape here is Callet, a red skinned grape, but is such a successful grower here it is frequently used as a 'blanc de noir' in white wines, pressing the juice out and avoiding time soaking on the skins to pick up any pigments. In Quibia the Callet makes up about 60% of the wine, with the other 40% divided among various other native white varieties, and is routinely one of the best quality and values for a white wine you can find available from the island. Weighing in at only 12.5%abv, even in a warmer vintage for them in 2019, this shows a remarkably rich mouthfeel and aromatic intensity without losing any freshness or Mediterranean brightness. Big melon and citrus zest notes on the nose with a touch of herbaceousness and salinity in the background, but nothing warm or heady about it. Very round and mouthfilling on the palate with lots of citrus skin texture and minerality, perhaps some pale red fruit tones and apple skin as well appearing in the long lingering finish, this has a lot of body and persistence you usually don't find in a wine that isn't barrel aged. A fantastic wine to pair with weightier seafood and buttery sauces, well poised for mussels or scallops over pasta.
Leave a Reply.
The Best of the Best.
We offering free tastings on these wines in the store every Thursday and Friday, and a 10% discount off the retail price through the duration of the day. Come on by and give them a try!